Seual Assault Advocate
Duties: Provide emotional support and advocacy to sexual assault victims at Moore Regional Hospital. This is a volunteer position that requires 100% commitment, confidentiality and willingness to be called anytime during a 24-hour period.
Duties may include:
1) Sitting with the client while she/he is waiting to be examined;
2) Explaining rights to the client, including what to expect during the medical exam and from a law enforcement interview;
3) Contacting family members upon request;
4) Assisting the client with developing an emergency safety plan;
5) Filling out a client intake form;
6) Acting as a liason between the client and the Sexual Assault Response Team.
Location: Moore Regional Hospital Emergency Room.
Hours: Volunteers will be asked to be "on call” for one week or one month for 24 hours a day. Volunteers may receive 1-2 calls during their "on call” period or no calls.
Requirements: 16 hours of training on Rape Sensitivity through Fayetteville Technical College (Friend to Friend will pay for the training). Compassionate, willing to provide emotional support and ability to stay calm and composed during a crisis. Excellent communication skills required (listening more than talking, speaking quietly and with compassion, ability to talk with a family in a way that is supportive).
Confidentiality Required: Yes